Cook's Concern

In colonial times, the choicest piece of meat or a special taste from a prized recipe was often called the Cook's Concern. The Cook would enjoy this morsel and tweak the dish if so needed. I hope to share with you the choicest morsels in current culinary information. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Fall-ing into a New Rhythm and Recipes

I can't believe that I haven't posted a recipe in 3 months!  But I guess househunting, buying a home and moving twice in 10 months is a legitimate distraction.

We have our dream home on Beacon Hill, along with a dreamy kitchen...so it is time to get back into the swing of things, tasting and testing, researching and writing all about the bounties of Boston and our lovely Commonwealth.  I really need a schedule and with the crisp days ahead, running out and about the neighborhoods will get me back into research and development mode...finding the next great ingredient or adapting some toothsome treasure from one of our local chefs...I look forward to setting my ideas to page and plate!

Recently, the pumpkin blitz began and everyone seems to be in a frothy frenzy for pumpkin lattes and spiced this or that.  I have resisted the fervor and have stretched summer as long as the Farmers' Markets allowed, but the last of the tomatoes are dwindling...basil is supplanted by sage...and apples...gorgeous apples are piling up all over...from Honey Crisp to McIntosh and Jona-Golds to Macouns...the apples are enticing all sorts of recipes from my tickle files and explorations around the city's restaurants.

On a particularly cool morning, I woke up to the thoughts of my favorite apple cake.  It is one of those come a-calling cakes, you know if you are heading to someone's house for supper or need to offer comfort in a time of need...my Apple Pecan Cake fills that bill...and I was craving its warm, spiced goodness.  I first made this cake during my own time of need...to serve mourners after my mother's funeral services...like her, I needed to comfort my kin and this cake offered that food hug.  The next time I made it, it was for a church bake sale...and I got calls and requests for the recipe.  And every year since, this cake has made it onto our table during Autumn and for just about every brunch I've ever laid out.

I hope this cake finds you and offers you a food hug...from my kitchen to yours!

Apple Pecan Cake

Ingredients
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable or coconut oil
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
4 cups peeled, chopped apples ( I like to mix Honey Crisp and Granny Smith)
1 cup chopped pecans

Method
Preheat oven to 350*.
Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
Place chopped apples in enough water to cover and add the juice of a lemon to prevent oxidation; drain thoroughly before adding to batter.
Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale yellow.
Gradually add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating until blended.
Beat in on low speed, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
On a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together the flour, salt, soda and spices.
Gently lifting the paper, forming a funnel, pour the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, and stir with a spoon until well combined.
Stir in the apples and pecans.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350* for 1 hour 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before running a blade around the cake, before removing  cake to the cooling rack.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

Serve warm with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream or fresh whipped cream!


Recommended beverage:  A nice hot cuppa joe!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment